Welcome

1 family - 30 days - 0 junk food. Can it be done?????

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Kale Chips Fiasco

I have recently discovered Kale Chips and I LOVE THEM!!!!!

I have read Angie All The Way for quite a while now and it was through her that I first heard of them. Kale is considered a "superfood", packed with nutrition, but it tastes like broccoli and can be a bit bitter.  My kids are no fans of broccoli.

The recipe is simple.  Remove the stems and veins from the kale leaves.  Rip leaves into "chip" sized pieces.  Drizzle with oil (EVOO is probably best, but whatever you have works).  Sprinkle with a bit of salt and/or seasonings, place on a cookie sheet in a single layer and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350.  The crispier you let the chips get, the better, but don't let them burn.

They are deeee-vine!  The bitterness is gone and they just melt in your mouth.

The fiasco bit comes in when I made them on the evening of day 5.  I thought I would try and go a little light on the oil.  Less is more right????  WRONG!  They were so dry it was like eating the Sahara desert.  We were all gasping and choking and reaching for the water.

So lesson learned.  Oil is important.  They don't have to drown in it, but they do need some.

An awesome alternative to potato chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment