It's easy, it's convenient and it's slowly destroying my family.
OK maybe that's a bit extreme, but it certainly isn't helping!
To give you some background, I'm a married mom of 3 wonderful kids, ages 12, 8 and 16 months. I have been overweight the majority of my adult life. My husband of 14 years was a skinny guy before he met me. He has started to have some weight issues in the last 8 years or so. My children are all well within the healthy weight category and, damn it, I want it to stay that way!
Maybe junk food isn't the "enemy" but it's one thing that I can have some control over.
So we've come to a decision....30 days....no junk food. We are starting Sept 1st.
We sat down with the kids and came up with some rules for this challenge:
- junk food is defined as the following: Chocolate, chips, ice cream, basically anything that can be bought at a convenience store
- No processed meats or fast food
- When Daddy is away for a meal due to work, he must make the best choice possible
- When a child is away for a meal, he/she must make the best choice possible. If no good choice is available and there is the option to come home, then the child should come home for said meal
- Coffee should be sweetened with something other than sugar and preferably natural (honey or stevia)
The prize the children have chosen is a trip to the science center in a nearby city. It is a place that they love and since they chose it I'm sure it's important to them.
So the gauntlet has been thrown and the challenge accepted.
Let's hope the only casualty is our waistlines! :D